Common name: Wintersweet, Bushman’s poison
Scientific name: Acokanthera oblongifolia
Hazard associated: All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested.
- Children may be attracted to this plant as the fruit may be mistaken for olives.
- The leaves of Acokanthera oblongifolia have been mistaken for bay leaves.
- Used as a screening plant in landscaping.
- The spa of the plant is milky and may cause skin and eye irritation.
- Used by South African bushmen to poison arrow tips for hunting.
Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acokanthera_oblongifolia