Common name: Sago palm (although it is not a palm), Queen sago
Scientific name: Cycas revoluta, Cycas circinalis
Hazard associated: All parts poisonous, and will cause gastrointestinal distress if ingested.
- Often grown in gardens as a feature plant.
- Cycads are plants which produce seeds but not flowers. They are not confers but not allied to them
- Cycads have been used as a food source but only after extensive preparation to remove the toxin BMAA that they contain.
- The bright red/orange seeds may look attractive to children.
- Pets and livestock have been known to suffer from eating this plant.
Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycas
2) By Esculapio – Own work (personal work), CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=634772